Saturday, July 18, 2009

Project Moving to Alaska

Hi there!

I am hoping to get some help and opinions with this blog. I am getting started with a masters program to be come a teacher and have been researching interesting places to teach. I am really drawn to teaching in Alaska at the moment and am planning to visit the state. However, I know you can't really get a feel for a place you want to live solely through vacation.

So, this brings me to the point where I need a little assistance! :) I would like to hear from people who have moved to Alaska or live in Alaska. I would like to hear first hand experiences of what living in Alaska is like. If anyone out there is a teacher and would like to respond that would be great!

I won't overwhelm everyone with questions today and want to say thank you in advance for anyone who happens to catch this blog and respond!

Have a great Saturday,

Katie

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited! I think this is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am so excited to have one follower! I am hoping this will be a good way to find out more about Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,
    I am also part of SEAtrails and currently live in Juneau and work for the University of Alaska Southeast (UAS). http://bit.ly/fEr9q is a link for the UAS Education page that is a great asset and can assist in getting the state certification for teaching. Southeast is wonderful, I also love Southwest and the Bristol Bay area and South Central. It really depends on what type of experience you are looking for. There will be more opportunities available in the rural villages and better pay for teaching but it's a much different lifestyle than living somewhere like Southeast, and the jobs have much more competition. It's a good time to look as see what your priorities are and see where they fit in... such as being able to travel around and the cost... and what services you might need to be close to.. Have fun it's an amazing place and there are so many children waiting for impassioned teachers in this state. Cheers, Amber

    ReplyDelete