Friday, July 24, 2009

Anchorage, Wasilla, and Sitka Oh my!

Hellooo out there!

So I have been looking into some different cities within Alaska to narrow my search down. You might be able to guess from the title that I am looking into Anchorage, Wasilla, and Sitka. As with my last post I would really love to hear from people who live in these areas and what type of you have had, especially if you have come to Alaska from somewhere else.

Secondly, I have been doing research on what you need to do in order to be a teacher in Alaska. Which sounds pretty simple to me from reading the ATP website. However, I would like to hear from people who are currently teaching in Alaska and what the experience has been like.

If anyone catches this post and has a minute to comment that would be great!

Katie

2 comments:

  1. Hey Katie, heard about your blog through the grapevine. I work with www.SEAtrails.org and we provide info about SE Alaska to independent travelers. I personally moved from Portland, OR to Sitka, and then later to Juneau. Both of these communities are beautiful with amazing people and lots of culture. I head up to Anchorage every once in a while but I definitely don't like it as much. Anyway check out our website for community profiles and if you have any questions contact me a vista@seatrails.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alaska is great...I love it and Sitka and we plan to move back someday. Yes, the cost of living is high but way worth it if you can swing it. If you're there long enough, you can get the PFD from the state. You need to be patient and flexible, especially regarding not being able to travel where/when you want because of weather and being creative in getting or fixing the things you need. Some people have a hard time with the weather ... it rains a lot ... and thus a lot of cloudy, socked in days. Southeast Alaska is much milder than the interior or around Anchorage. I suggest check out the sitkasentinel.com and getting an online subscription so see the hot issues and see rental apartments cost.

    ReplyDelete